Monday 2 March 2009

It's Tipi Time

Dingles and I have been chatting today about getting a Tipi. It's something we started thinking about last year but as Tipi's can be quite expensive, we've not been able to get one yet. The conversation came about again due to festival talk which always occurs about this time of the year. I am a lover of all things festy. I love the colours, the vibes, the mixture of people and culture. I love the smells of woodsmoke and incense and the sound of african drums mixed in with euphoric dance music drifting across the campsite. I love the sculptures and the dancing, the fire and the mud. I love tripping over tent lines at 5 in the morning as the sun reveals a welcoming mist that seems to protect those sleeping within. I love Festivals!! This year however we won't be doing much in the way of festival hopping. We will however be joining a small...but highly enjoyable Fire Festival nr Wareham in Dorset, England. Last year, when the festival was on another site, we met a man called Duncan, who's Tipi was so beautiful...we decided that one day, we would buy one. Tents are great if you like being cold at night and roasting in the day time. Tents do not give shelter from the sun, they only bake you like an oven would. Add to that the fire hazard of cooking inside them and the fact that they're not exactly easy on the eye. Not only is a Tipi a very beautiful structure, but the shape and the nature of it means that you are well insulated from the cold, cool in the sun and can warm yourself with a fire inside, not your average tent.

Anyway, Dingles and I are currently looking to buy one. We do not have the money right now but hpe to in the next year. I think the reson they appeal so much is because of the use we can get out of it in the winter, as well as the summer. A trip to the Scottish highlands would be lovely in a Tipi in winter. You wouldn't catch me doing that in a normal tent. Here are some photo's of Tipis.







1 comment: